You Will Need:
For the sponge:
150 g Dairy Free Margarine (or Coconut Fat), Egg Replacer (equal to 3 large eggs), 3 dl (1 1/4 cup) Sugar, 2 tsp Vanilla Sugar (or vanilla essence), 1 tbs Cocoa Powder (dark euro style), 4½ dl (2 cups) Plain Flour, 3 tsp Baking Powder & 1½ dl (2/3 cup) Dairy Free Milk (I use Alpro Soya Natural).
30x40 cm (12x15 inches) baking tin and baking paper
For the icing:
150 g Dairy Free Margarine, 2-3 tbs Cold Caffein-Free Coffee, 4 tbs Cocoa Powder (dark euro style), 4 tsp Vanilla Sugar & 7 dl (3 cups) Icing Sugar.
+ Coconut shavings for topping
- Melt the margarine (or coconut fat).
- Whisk egg replacer and sugar until fluffy.
- Add your milk to the melted margarine (coconut fat).
- Mix all dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Start adding the fat/milk-mix, alternating it with adding dry ingredient-mix to your sugar and egg replacer.
- The best technique is to use an electric whisk.
- Line your baking tin with the paper and add the smooth chocolate cake batter.
- Bake in the lower part of your oven at 175 C / 350 F for 15-20 minutes. Check the cake with a cake tester before taking it out of the oven. The cake tester should be dry without batter on it.
- Once baked, leave to cool down until cold.
- Time to make the icing.
- Make sure your cake is cool. (If the cake is still warm the icing will melt off the cake)
- Melt the margarine for your icing and take it off the heat.
- Add all the remaining ingredients for the icing in with the margarine. (not the coconut) and spread evenly on top of the chocolate cake.
- Sprinkle with lots of coconut and store in a cool place until the icing has set. (10-15 min)
- Cut into desired size squares and enjoy the wonderful taste of VEGAN SNODDAS!
I recommend you store your fresh Snoddas in a sealed cake jar in the freezer, that way they taste like newly baked everytime. Just remember to take them out to defrost before eating. Defrosting them in the microwave will melt the icing.